TENNIS NATIONAL SQUAD AND INTERNATIONAL TENNIS TOURNAMENT AND MAJOR GAMES SELECTION PROCESS AND CRITERIA
1) This document aims to outline the Selection process and criteria for the Tennis National Squad (including National Youth Squad) and International Tennis Tournament and Major Games. The Selection process and criteria aims to:
i) Put forth the best team of athletes to represent Singapore in regional and international competitions under the ambit of the Singapore Tennis Association (STA), Sport Singapore (SportSG) and the Singapore National Olympic Council (SNOC);
ii) EnsureTransparency,Accountability, and Opportunities;
iii) Provide sustained sporting success at Davis Cup, FedCup and SEA Games;
iv) Develop the talent pipeline;
v) Encourage return contribution of supported Athletes to the tennis eco- system.
2) A joint committee (”Committee”) comprises of representatives from STA and SportSG will serve to:
i) Review selection process and criteria periodically;
Selection and Preparation Panel
ii) Oversee annual carding,athletes code of conduct and appeal matters;
iii) ReviewHigh Performance Plans.
3) A Selection and Preparation Panel comprising of representatives from STA and SportSG shall be formed to:
i) Administer and conduct selection process for the National Squad and for representation for International Tennis Tournaments and Major Games;
ii) Design and conduct preparation, training and tournament plans for SEA Major Games, Fed Cup and Davis Cup;
iii) Design and setup the support system (including sparring and match practice);
iv) Reports to the Joint Committee.
4) The selection and Preparation Panel will comprise of the following:
i) Chair of STA Selection Sub-Committee (MC member);
ii) Technical Director ActiveSG Tennis Academy;
iii) Head Coach of National Squad (Men);
iv) Head Coach of National Squad (Ladies);
v) Coaches and Trainers involved in the National Squads preparation
vi) ActiveSG Tennis Academy Representative
5) Conflict of Interest. Committee and Panel members who have conflicting interests (e.g. relative of an athlete standing for selection) is obliged to declare his conflict of interest and withdraw his voting rights. He must not influence other Committee or Panel members in any way. However, he may be requested by the Committee or Selection Panel to offer professional input during the discussion phase. Any such input must be provided in a fair and unbiased manner.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
6) National Squad: Singapore Citizens only.
7) SEA Games: Singapore Citizens only (SEA Games rule)
8) Fed & Davis Cup: Singapore Citizens only* (International Tennis Federation (ITF) Rule) *NOTE: Singapore Permanent Residents previously approved by the ITF before 2012 are also eligible to be included, subject to ITF's final approval.
Stage One - Selection for National Squad
9) Every competition year, the number of spots on the National Squad for Men and Ladies will be determined and announced annually by the Committee.
10) An annual selection exercise will be conducted by the Selection and Preparation Panel at period as determined by the Committee and will consist of the following components:
a) Invitation without trials for the available spots on the National Squad at the point of the selection exercise:
i) Players with an ATP/WTA Singles Ranking;
ii) Players ranked in the top 300 of the ATP/WTA Doubles Ranking;
iii) Juniors ranked in the top 400 of the ITF Junior Ranking;
iv) Men and Women ranked in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division 1 Singles Ranking list.
b) Invitation to selection trials for the remaining spots on the National Squad:
i) The top 6 men and women, or any other number of players deemed necessary by the Selection and Preparation Panel, based on the STA Open Ranking and based on the previous 52 weeks results will be selected to take part in the selection trials;
ii) Former players who have represented Singapore in Fed Cup, Davis Cup and SEA Games and have indicated interest in writing to STA Selection and Preparation Panel to represent Singapore for a spot in the selection trials;
iii) The selection and Preparation Panel has the discretion to invite other suitable players for the trials;
iv) The trials will be conducted in a round robin format played over the best of 3 sets. ITF Tournament Rules apply, particularly regarding injury time-outs and walk-overs. If a player is unable to play or continue playing for medical reasons, he/she has to concede a walk-over;
v) A medical certificate must be submitted, failing which the player will be taken out of the trial and all previous points collated will be considered null and void;
vi) The Selection and Preparation Panel may change the schedule & format of play as deemed necessary. Requests for a change of schedule by a player are not allowed.
c) Should any players attain an ATP or WTA Singles ranking after the selection exercise period, he or she may write in, to the Selection and Preparation Panel for consideration for a spot on the National Squad.
d) In the event that the number of players with ranking exceeded the number of available spots on the national squad, a selection trial will be conducted for all players with ranking to fill all the spots on the national squad.
e) In the event that a spot(s) is open up in the National squad due to existing squad member(s) drop out, the Selection Panel and Preparation has the discretion to fill the spot(s) through a selection process as designated by the Committee.
Stage Two - Selection for International Tennis Tournament and Major Games
11) Representation for Davis Cup, Fed Cup, Major Games will then be conducted via the following selection process to select the required number of men and ladies to form the representing team for Singapore:
a) Selection without trials for the available spots on the representing team for Singapore at the point of the selection exercise:
i) National Squad Player with an ATP/WTA Singles Ranking;
ii) National Squad Player ranked in the top 300 of the ATP/WTA Doubles Ranking;
iii) Non-National Squad Player with an ATP/WTA Singles Ranking or is ranked in the top 300 of the ATP/WTA Doubles Ranking may write to the Selection and Preparation Panel for consideration for a spot on the representing team.
b) Selection trials will be conducted for the remaining spots on the representing team for Singapore
i) National Squad Player without an ATP/WTA Singles or Doubles Ranking or is ranked outside the top 300 of the ATP/WTA Doubles Ranking at the point of the selection exercise will go into the selection trials;
ii) Non-National Squad Player who meets the following criteria at the point of the selection exercise and have indicated their interest in writing to Selection and Preparation Panel for a spot in the selection trials
Ranked outside the top 300 of the ATP/WTA Doubles Ranking
Ranked in the top 400 of the ITF Junior Ranking;
Men and Women ranked in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division 1 Singles Ranking list;
Former players who have represented Singapore in Fed Cup, Davis Cup and SEA Games in the past three years. A pre-trial may be conducted for a spot in the selection trials at the Selection and Preparation Panel’s discretion in the event that there is overwhelming interest from former players.
12) The final selection will be completed based on SNOC and ITF timelines with the latest possible date and in accordance with the rules of the respective tournament and Major Games.
13) To inculcate the values of Honour, Teamwork and Resilience in the national squad or team selected to represent Singapore, both of objective and subjective criteria will be utilised in the selection process in addition to playing abilities. Players will also be evaluated for:
i) Display strong passion and drive and Core Values of Honour, Teamwork and Resilience
ii) Good Sensibilities, Attitude and Behaviour: This will come in the form of character reference from Coaches/Administrators/peers and, if necessary, independent character reference. Interview sessions may be conducted.
iii) Training commitment: Commit to a full-time training load as agreed with the Selection and Preparation Panel. When selected to the National Squad or representation team for Singapore, players based locally must commit to train and all training sessions, failing which a player may be dropped from the squad.
iv) Competitions commitment: Commit to participate in overseas and local competitions as agreed with the Selection and Preparation Panel
v) National Representation: To participate in all selection trials and events when invited
vi) Code Of Conduct: Adhere to the code of conduct
vii) Sports Performance: Commit to medal targets and ITF/ATP/WTA ranking targets as agreed with the Selection and Preparation Panel
viii) Role model, mentor and inspire junior players: Participate in camps, clinics, workshops and engagement sessions as agreed with the Selection and Preparation Panel
ix) Build affinity with Singaporean: Participate in community engagement sessions as agreed with the Selection and Preparation Panel
14) For all Major Games, the SNOC has the sole and absolute discretion to determine whether an Athlete has met the requirements of selection and whether they should select the maximum number of athletes permitted by the Qualification System, notwithstanding the number of Athletes who may have met the requirements of selection and/or the Qualification System.
15) Each athlete will have to sign and accept the athlete agreement to accept the position and obligations in the National Squad and Tournament and Major Games squads. Penalties may be imposed on the athlete for any non-compliance.
16) Each athlete will have to attend all training and activities designed by the National Squad Head Coach(s) in preparation for the Tournaments and Major Games and all engagement sessions as agreed with the Selection and Preparation Panel.
17) All players and coaches will have to accept and follow the equipment rules established by International Tennis Federation (ITF) and the Singapore Tennis Association (STA).
Withdrawals of Athletes
18) An athlete may be removed from the National Squad, Tournament/Major Games Squad under any of the following situations:
i) Voluntary Withdrawal. Any athlete may request to be removed from the squads by submitting a written letter to the Selection and Preparation Panel (address to Deputy General Manager STA) within one week of announcement of the squads;
ii) Once withdrawal is accepted, no further appeals or changes can be made for the athlete to be reinstated into the squads;
iii) Injury and/or Illness. Any athlete who has injury and/or illness must be certified fit-to- play by an approved doctor or medical staff. If an athlete is certified unfit by a medical professional, he/she may be removed from the squads. If any athlete refuses verification of his illness/injury, said illness/injury will be assumed to be disabling and he/she may be removed from the squads;
iv) Misconduct. All athletes are to abide by the Athletes’ Code of Conduct and Athletes’ Agreement. Any violation may result in the removal of the athlete from the squads.
19) Grounds for Appeal. Any aggrieved athlete may appeal against any failure of the Selection and Preparation Panel in complying with the Selection process. An appeal may only be made on procedural grounds, and not on the merits of any selection decisions. It does not serve as a reselection process.
20) The Committee has no powers of selection or re-selection. They are obliged to review the procedures of the Selection and Preparation Panel in the alleged matter, and must come to a majority decision after consideration of all available evidence. They may, as appropriate, present the results of their review to the Selection and Preparation Panel.
21) Once the Committee has made its recommendations, and the Selection and Preparation Panel has, if necessary, reconsidered its selection, the findings of both Committee and Selection and Preparation Panel will be announced.
22) Where athlete A’s appeal poses a risk to athlete B of being excluded from the final selection, athlete B will be given an opportunity to be heard at the appeal.
23) The Committee’s decision is final. No further appeals on the same grounds may be considered.
24) Any application for consideration for selection trials or appeal on selection must be written officially to Deputy General Manager, Singapore Tennis Association (STA) for the Committee’s consideration within seven (7) days after the official announcement of the selection exercise or selection results. By email:
The Committee through the Deputy General Manager STA
Attention: Deputy General Manager, Wilson Tay
Practice Partners for National Squad
1) Players who are keen to be considered for practice partners for the 2017 Tennis National Squad and meet the following criteria:
Players who have attained ATP/WTA ranking points.
Former National Players who have represented Singapore at Davis Cup/Fed Cup/SEA games.
Players who have attained an ITF Junior ranking of 600 or higher
Players who reached the Semi Finals or better of the past two National Open (seven identified open)
Players recommended by the National Squad Head Coaches for the Selection & Preparation Panel’s evaluation and for Joint Committee’s approval.
2) Apply in writing to STA at email@example.com for the Selection & Preparation Panel’s evaluation and recommendation for the Joint Committee’s approval.